Wednesday, October 26, 2016
Monday, May 18, 2015
As we continue to expand Rawrztoys, our newest toy is a fox! He made his premiere as a prototype at Emerald City Comic Con, and was redesigned, printed, sanded/primed, buffed, molded and cast for Bay Area Maker Faire this weekend! He marks the 9th toy in our line (Narwhale, Octo, Seahorse, Shark, Giraffe, Elephant, Alligator, & Hedgehog.) Available in 2 sizes, Small at about 1.5 inches and big at 5 inches. We teamed up with nascent objects to create his light up cupcake base that changes colors by app!
Wednesday, February 18, 2015
In August 2014 I was approached by Athena Studios, and asked to lead the puppet build for a short film "Mermaids on Mars." Having worked with them in the past to create Sophie for "Auntie Claus", I was extremely excited! Over the next couple months I lead a team of 6 in the creation of 7 puppets. I was lucky to have such wonderful teammates, and couldn't be more thrilled with the results. Here is a sneak peak of "Mermaids on Mars!"
Based on an original story by: Nancy Guettier
Completed Julian puppet
Cast Julian head and painted eyes ready for assembly and epoxy
Cast Dragon skin hands, ready for assembly
Completed Gilbet puppet
Silicone shoe mold, back painted grommets
Cast shoes, ready for their laces
Oceana is ready for her close up
Mermaid tail armature, wire and ready for casting
Clipped foam tail, and back painted iridescent tail layers
Tails ready for seaming
Close up of tail color varations
Ocean being animated
And lastly, a fully comped shot of Gilbert star gazing off the dock.
To complete the puppets I worked with
Bird Mc Cargar-Costume
Jeanette Vera-3d Modeling
Via Merrick Chaney Armatures
Designs by Steph Laberis
Sunday, September 14, 2014
I have been having a blast recently, working with a lot of my long time favorite artists! One of those artists is the amazingly talented Emma SanCartier of Oddfauna. I have been collecting her adorable gypsum sculptures ( of which I have 8 ) for awhile now and when she came to me to discuss molding/casting her latest sculpture I was extremely excited! I first started with creating the mold.
Added a Mohawk like vent system for air to travel through during resin injections, as well as pressure potting. I then created a foam core box and poured if full of sorta clear platinum silicone.
Here's a view of the inside of the box.
After the mold was boxed, silicone poured and allowed to cure. It is ready to be cut open.
The mold has now been cut open using a jewelers cut, I will spray it with release band
it together and inject pigmented plastics.
Here is one of the first runs, using a bunch of blues, teals and reds.
Another first test, in sapphire blue.
And here are some lovely pictures of the finished Jade Logur's taken and painted by Emma!
It's so hard for me to pick a favorite of the Jade series, bit I really love
4 and 6. I can't wait for more experimenting!
due to the nature of casting even if I use the exact same colors
they can vary a bit.
So many cool finishes! I know all those Logur's found happy homes!
Saturday, August 2, 2014
Hello, It's been too long since I have updated! I have been working on a few freelance casting jobs, as well as a couple stop motion shorts.
Here is one of them, GhostGirl. It's a book series by Tonya Hurley.
For this trailer I made GhostGirls hands, as well as the extra character torsos.
Monday, April 7, 2014
One of the freelance jobs I worked on in March was a really cool zombee which is exactly as it sounds, a zombie bee! Rick Marson creator of Zoms, wanted to take his stuffed zombees to next level and create toys! Ann Sidenblad modeled and printed Rick's design and passed it along to me. I sanded and prepped the bees for molding and casting. Made the molds, and thus Zombees were born! I then cast the bees in 3 types of resin and passed them back to Rick who very meticulously hand painted each and every zombee in time for ECCC (Emerald City Comic Con) Below are some photos from the process!! You can check out his website Zoms, where the ZomBees will soon be available for purchase.
|Here are the bee parts, red puttied and ready for finishing|
|Here is the finished bee and base ready for mold|
|This is the bee flight pegs, I molded 2 so we could turn around more bees in a shorter amount of time|
|Here are the wings all spured up and ready to box, again I made a gang mold so multiple bees could be cast quickly|
|Foam core boxes, pouring sorta clear 37|
|Here are the bee flight pegs before cutting open the mold|
|Molds after being cut open|
|I wasn't happy with the finishing on the base the first time around so I started over|
|Base spured and ready for him foam core box|
|Mold ready to be cut|
|Multiple bee castings!|
|The finished bees as I handed them off to Rick|
|Ricks beautiful paint job on a day of the dead bee!|